Level 5 Theory
Course Dates: Enrolment will reopen Monday January 08 2018. Enrolment period is for 180 days. Please review the calendar for important dates.
Examination Dates:The 2nd weekend of August, December, and May of each year. Visit rcmusic.ca for details
Workload: Sixteen units in total, approximately one assignment per week. Please allow a minimum of three hours per assignment
Course Fee: $375
Prerequisites: Elementary Music Theory Levels 1-4
- Celebrate Theory 5
- Official Assessment Papers, Level 5 Theory, most recent edition.
Both are available online through http://bookstore.rcmusic.ca/
This Level 5 Theory course follows the Royal Conservatory of Music's 2016 Music Theory Syllabus . Successful students will be prepared to write the RCM Level 5 Theory exam, although students not planning on writing the exam are welcome.
Music theory covers basic musicianship, including reading and writing in the treble and bass clefs, scales and key signatures, intervals, basic triads, terminology, and introduces some music history.
Students prepare for the exams by completing assignments based on the material found in their text and practice exams near the end of the course. Extra study material is available online, including a glossary of terms. Students must be able to scan their work in pdf format, then submit their assignments through Dropbox. The Instructor grades and returns the assignment to the student with comments. Students may ask specific questions about their work through the online message system. Students may receive additional tutoring by purchasing online private lessons.
PLEASE NOTE: Parents of younger students (ages 10-14) must be prepared to assist their children in completing/uploading assignments and navigating the site.
- Create an account
- Click on the course. In the top left corner choose Settings -> Course Adminstration -> enrol me ... . Payment is made through Paypal. Credit cards are accepted
- Purchase the required materials.
- Students planning on writing an R.C.M. exam are responsible for their own registration.
Once enrolled in a course, an instructor will contact you to confirm your prerequisites and set up a Dropbox folder.
- Must be computer literate: able to use file sharing, have access to a scanner, create pdf documents, etc.
- Obtain required course material
- Complete all assignments on time
- Ask questions when they have them
- Sign-up for online lessons when they need extra help
- Register for their RCM exam. Visit rcmusic.ca for details.
- Teacher: Thomas Evdokimoff